In Norwich in March 1927 six local gentlemen decided to form a Club where the many ‘strangers’ who came to Norwich could be entertained. Their decision is duly recorded in a framed and signed ‘Statement of Intent’ which still hangs in the Club premises.
Appropriately the Club was to be called ‘The Strangers Club’ and it is interesting to note that the Constitution of the Club called for the membership to be divided as to 49% local people and 51% who came from away. The club occupies the house in Elm Hill once owned by Augustine Steward, a Mercer and three times Mayor of Norwich who lived here around 1545. As its badge the Club adapted the Coat of Arms of Augustine Steward along with his motto ‘Thank God of Thys’ which became the Grace still used today before all Club formal functions. By the time of the first AGM in March 1928 there were 40 members.
Today the Members include a representative cross-section of those who are eminent in their professions or trades, doctors, lawyers, accountants, surveyors, and business men. The Club is proud of the fact that it has retained a strong link with the Civic Heads of the City, who once a year are invited as guests to lunch at the Club. In addition over the years the Club has entertained many notable persons including Queen Mary, Princess Alexandra, the Lord Mayor of London, the Netherlands’, Belgian and Mexican Ambassadors, Lord Birkenhead, Lord Baden-Powell, Sir Henry Wood, Sir Alfred Munnings, writers, actors, politicians and overseas visitors to the City who are brought to see the Club Premises.